1873

Phi Sigma Kappa was founded at Massachusetts Agricultural College, what is now University of Mass. at Amherst, on March 15, 1873. Founding Fathers: Jabez William Clay, Frederick George Cambell, Joseph Franklin Barrett, Xenos Young Clark, William Penn Brooks, and Henry Hague. These, our Founders, banded together in their sophomore year (1873) to form a "society to promote morality, learning and social culture." The name Phi Sigma Kappa was adopted in 1876.

  

1910

Phi Sigma Epsilon Fraternity was founded on February 20, 1910, at Kansas State Normal College, now Emporia State University. The early years of Phi Sigma Epsilon were stormy ones for there was much opposition to secret societies, and the fraternity had to exist as an underground organization until 1912. However, the Fraternity's willingness to cooperate, and its program of scholastic and social improvements, soon won support and admiration. Finally, in 1913, Phi Sigma Epsilon was officially recognized on campus, and Prof. C. R. Phipps became the sponsor. Founding Fathers: Raymond Victor Bottomly, W. Roy Campbell, W. Ingram Forde, Humphrey Jones, Robert C. Marley, Orin M. Rhine, Fred M.  In 1985, Phi Sigma Kappa merged with Phi Sigma Epsilon in the largest successful merger of Greek-letter fraternities in history.

  

_______

   

PSK 3

 

 _______

 

PHI THETA CHAPTER HISTORY

 

1958

  • On December 15, 1958, Phi Sigma Epsilon became colony at Shippensburg State College. 
  • On November 15, 1959, the colony received its national charter and was given the designation as the Phi Theta Chapter. 
  •  Phi Sigma Epsilon was Shippensburg State College’s first Greek organization. 
  • Charter Officers of the Phi Theta Chapter include: Daniel Wilbert (President), Sid Steinior (Vice President), Robert McClosky (Recording Secretary), Marlin Lippert (Corresponding Secretary), Robert Cook (Treasure), Edmund Lebinski (Historian), Roger McCormick (Chaplin), William Lewis (Sentinel), Charles Naddeo (Pledge Master)

 

1960s

  • Throughout the 1960s, the Phi Theta Chapter was involved in various activities including social events, service projects, visitations to other chapters of Phi Sigma Epsilon, and intramural athletics.
  • Past Presidents and Officers of the Phi Theta Chapter (1959 -1969) include: Daniel Wilbert (two terms), Roger McCormick, Dan Brown, James Lesh, Bill McCracken, Bill Gaugler was president from 1962-1963, Tony Ligatti was president for two terms in 1963-1964 and 1964-1965, Glynn Jenkins was president from 1965-1966.  Milford Pittman (deceased) was Sgt. At Arms from 1962-1965 (no one messed with Pitt as he was an outstanding lineman on the football team. Clyde Neidigh (deceased) was Pledge Master in 1964-1965. Tony Ligatti was also president of the inter-fraternity council from 1964-1965. Bud Moody was Treasurer from 1963-1964 and 1964-1965, past Presidents also includeClyde Cressler, James Mitchell, Jerry Dunkle, and Charles Koch.
  •  In 1969, the Phi Theta Chapter had 34 members and Brothers lived at various locations around Shippensburg, as there was no Chapter house.
  • 1969/1970 Chapter Officers: President- Bob Saeger, Vice President- Dan Ingram, Treasurer- Bill Holtry, Recording Secretary- Dave Hellman, Corresponding Secretary- Alf Stover.

 

1970s

  • In 1973 the chapter had 23 members and throughout the ‘70s membership stayed consistent between 20 and 30 members.
  • Through 1976, the Phi Theta Chapter did not have a permanent or “official” Chapter house.  Chapter activity centered around two central locations.  One was Apartment #20 in College Park and the other was 32 Richard Avenue. 
  • Fraternity meetings were held on the second floor of the CUB and larger social events and parties were held at a number of venues.  One was Rebucks Cabin on Baltimore Road near Big Flat, others included the old Colonial House on Lurgan Ave, West End Fire and Rescue, and the Orrstown Lions Club.
  • Chapter Advisors included Ed Goodhart (Brother and Prof), Dale Burkholder (Chief of Security),Kenny Rebuck (Security Officer), Herb Bowers (SSU Police Chief).

 

1980s

  •  In 1985 the Phi Theta Chapter took part in the merger with Phi Sigma Kappa.

 _______

PSK 3.1

_______

 

1990s

  • Throughout the early 1990s, the Phi Theta Chapter experienced a sustained period of growth making Phi Sig one of the largest Greek organizations on campus.
  • The Chapter also dominated intramural athletics, wining back to back I-Cups in 1993 and 1994.
  • In 1995 the Chapter lost its house known as “The Farm” located on Baltimore Road. The owner of the property passed away and the heirs did not continue the relationship.
  • The Chapter then had several temporary houses. From 1995 to 1997 the Chapter house was located at 103 N Earl Street and in 1997 the Chapter house was located in Lurgan, PA
  • In the late-1990s, the Chapter again saw a period of growth adding 14 new members in 1996/97.
  • In 1998 the Chapters members self-funded the construction of a new Fraternity house on “Greek Row” at 45 Sunbeam Court, through a partnership with the developer.
  • Chapter meetings were held every Sunday night at 7:00PM in Shippen Hall

 

2000s

  • In 2001/02, deceptive business practices by the developer put the Chapter in financial decline and the Chapter lost the house on Greek Row (45 Sunbeam Court). Later, the developer was convicted and sentenced to more than 6 years in prison for federal tax evasion based on a series complicated schemes from various construction projects and rental properties.
  • In 2003, under mounting financial presser the Chapter’s Charter was suspended by the Grand Chapter.
  • In 2003, the remaining members went underground and the house was located at 215 North Queen Street.
  • In 2003, the Chapters historical assets (paddles and photo composites) were sequestered by the University’s Office of Greek Affairs.
  • In 2004, the few remaining members started down the path to regain the Chapter’s charter but were unsuccessful. 

 

2010s

  • In 2011, efforts were underway to reestablish Phi Sigma Kappa at Shippensburg University.  The Phi Theta was again recognized as a Colony by the Grand Counsel in March 2012.
  • In May 2013, The Phi Theta chapter was reinstated and chartered.
  • In June 2013, after meeting with the Chapter, an exploratory committee was established to develop a Phi Theta Chapter Alumni Association.
  • In 2013, the Phi Theta Chapter reached 35 members strong, again making Phi Sigma one of the largest Greek organizations on campus.
  • From 2012 to Present, the Chapter House is located at 301 North Earl Street.
  • In June 2013, after meeting with the Chapter, an exploratory committee was established to develop a Phi Theta Chapter Alumni Association.
  • The Chapter’s Alumni Association is on track to incorporate in 2014.